If Only I Was Green

Book and movie reviews, and original stories...Enter and expand your mind.

May 16, 2006

Review: The Comedian by Jerry Seinfeld




I’ve never found Jerry Seinfeld’s brand of humor funny so I was never a big fan of his sitcom "Seinfeld". After watching "The Comedian" I find that I now have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He threw away all his old material and started over. "The Comedian" is a documentary of his journey to create new material and in it he comes off as sincere and honest. It’s easy to rest on previous accomplishments and in many ways throwing away something that had brought him so much success seems crazy. But I think that by doing it again he gained a better understanding of his craft and himself. And I think it demonstrates, to me any way, and lot of character.

Recently I’ve been struggling with my identity as a mathematical person. I had perfect scores on both my math Regents exams (required tests to graduate with a Regents high school diploma in NY), majored in mathematics in college, and I have been writing code...for over 18 years. Yet I totally bombed on the math section of the GMAT and I’m pretty sure I failed a statistics waiver exam recently. This testing of my math knowledge has been a tremendous blow to my identity. And because of my experiences recently, I finished “The Comedian” feeling a great respect for Seinfeld. I don’t think this is the best documentary I’ve ever watched but it was eye opening and something we should all think about as we move through life....could we do it again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home