If Only I Was Green

Book and movie reviews, and original stories...Enter and expand your mind.

January 05, 2006

Review: “Forever Odd” by Dean Koontz



A wounded but not down Odd Thomas is back. His friend Danny is kidnapped, Danny’s father murdered, and Odd is the only one who can save him. “Forever Odd” is the sequel to “Odd Thomas” and I really had high expectations for it. Unfortunately I was disappointed. “Odd Thomas” has the best first 7 pages of any book I have ever read. Odd is a very fun character and it’s hard not to fall in love with him. His quirky view on life and death is a big part of his appeal. And you’ll find that in “Forever Odd”. But the villain Datura is so insane that I found her hard to believe. I never really did understand where she was coming from and what she wanted. I suspect that she was supposed to be some Voodoo princess but I didn’t get the connecting pieces I needed to convince me she was a real Voodoo princess and not just insane. Because of this the ending was a little on the weird side. I read “Forever Odd” because of Odd and he didn’t disappoint me but I would suggest that if you read this book, to keep a REALLY open mind about Datura and not to have really high expectations about the story line.

1 Comments:

At January 08, 2006 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim-

It's also a bizarrely sized book, so that the right edge is thicker than the left edge. It made it hard to stack on the bestseller table.

...Can you tell I work in a bookstore?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home